Sunday, January 17, 2010

Vestergaard Frandsen

Hello! This is Julia reporting in. I am now back in Colorado, where Hana and I have been working on finishing up our business cards, securing a source for string, and finding new places to sell our bracelets. However, before I left New York, I had a meeting with Peter Cleary and Elisabeth Wilhelm from the Vestergaard Frandsen bed net manufacturing company. They came across Knots for Nets from a Google Alert, and from there contacted us about their desire to write an article for their website and tweet about us!
So on Monday, I went to their office near Grand Central Station and met with both Peter and Elisabeth to discuss how we can work together. They showed me a few of their products, which include long-lasting insecticidal nets (to put over beds) and net curtains (to put inside windows). I was very inspired by their dedication to community service and their perseverance in the fight against malaria.
When I met with them, they offered to send us a few of their bed nets to show as examples when selling bracelets, so that people can see directly what their money is being used for. (They do, in fact, supply some nets to Against Malaria.) However, when I contacted them again, Peter told me that they were sending every net they had directly to Haiti, to help out with the crisis that has occured there because of the recent earthquake. So we will let you know when we receive the nets, but in the meantime, you can know that they are being put to very good use!
In fact, Knots for Nets has also decided to help out with the current situation in Haiti. We are going to donate our most recent proceeds from bracelet sales (about $100) to the Against Malaria "Haiti Earthquake" page, to assure that the nets we fund go directly to Haiti where they are currently needed most. Visit their page now if you want to make a special donation!
Thank you!

-Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment